What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a freshwater algae that has become one of the most researched and recommended superfoodsknown today. Spirulina is a colloquial term used to refer to a blend of two bacteria, ArthospiraPlatensis and Arthospira Maxima. Sometimes these bacteria are called Spirulina Platensis and Spirulina Maxima, accordingly. The common name 'Spirulina' is derived from 'Spiral', which is in reference to its classical morphology being spiral shaped (although linear shaped Arthospira has been noted). Spirulina is also commonly called a 'blue-green' algae due to its color and its sources. Grown around the world from Mexico to Africa to Hawaii, Spirulina is renowned for its intense flavor and even more powerful nutrition profile. While you may have only seen it as an ingredient in smoothies and juice blends, Spirulina's benefits are so plentiful that if taken on a daily basis in the form of a supplement, they could help to restore and revitalize your health.
Nutritionally, Spirulina is technically a vegan source of complete protein that can be up to 70% protein by weight although some interventions use Spirulina with a 55% protein content. The amino acid composition of Spirulina is 'complete' (giving adequate amounts of all essential amino acids) but is relatively lower in cysteine, methionine, and lysine when compared to animal products.
Spirulina is a naturally high source of vegetarian protein and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients. When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of water, it is one of the most potent nutrient sources available.
Spirulinais largely made up of protein and essential amino acids, and is typically recommended to vegetarians due to its high B12 and natural iron content that is gentle on the digestive system.In addition, the beta-carotene content in Spirulina is higher than in any other plant on Earth. The Beta carotene in Spirulina for example is ten times more concentrated than it is in carrots.
Spirulina acts on inflammatory pathways in the body and reduces inflammation that leads to nasal congestion and other issues. In studies, those who took Spirulinanoticed a reduction in nasal congestion, itching, and sneezing.Research also confirms that the proteins in Spirulina inhibit the production and release of histamine, which is one chemical that ignites an inflammatory response in the body.
• Source of antioxidants for the maintenance of good health
• Source of beta-carotene for the maintenance of good health
• Source of iron for the maintenance of good health
• Source of protein for the maintenance of good health
• Helps reduce symptoms of allergic rhinitis such as nasal discharge, sneezing, nasal congestion and itching
• Helps maintain eyesight, skin, membranes and immune function
• Helps in the development and maintenance of night vision
• Helps in the development and maintenance of bones and teeth
• Helps to form red blood cells and helps in their proper function
• Helps build and repair body tissues
• Ecologically grown for 100% purity and safety
• Sourced from a natural pollutant free environment
• Convenient, easy-to-swallow tablets
• Produced in a certified GMP facility
• 100% lab tested to be free from microbes and contaminants